Tuesday, July 17, 2018

IS BEAUTY REALLY WORTH IT?


You may have noticed that I've titled one of my pages "The Diet to End Them All." I have some ideas of what I want to do with this page but it will take some time. However, I'd like to start this section off with a funny post because it will take some time before I can provide you with the Perfect Diet.

I've got more than 10 books on my shelf that state the claim it is the best diet. I'm pretty sure that can't be true but I intend to read them all and try them out to find which book is the honest one. I am confident that I will gain wisdom and tips from each one and I probably won't find just one that is perfect for every body, including my own.

The book I am currently reading is so good and enjoyable and chock full of what I'm sure are great tips to be a healthier person. I am learning a lot and feel both inspired and empowered to make some positive healthy changes to my diet. I will not disclose the name of this book just yet because of what I want to share. I'm not sure if it will be looked at positively without more explanation (and based on my interpretation of the recipe) but I want to share this funny story from an experience I had today with one of the recipes.

I have a friend who lives on the east coast. She is very motivated to live a healthy lifestyle and she shares lots of healthy ideas and suggestions with me. Today I shared a recipe with her and her response was 'it looks time consuming and definitely fermented.' And then she said 'I wonder how it tastes.' My response was 'probably awful.' Then she said she was trying to be gentle with me because she didn't know if I liked the recipe. Then we both shared puke emoticons on the phone screen and LOL'd. 

Here is what all the fuss is about ...

The recipe calls for:

1 medium head of green cabbage, shredded in a food processor or finely sliced by hand

The liquid brine mixture is:

Water
Gingerroot
Unpasteurized miso paste

You are to blend the brine ingredients until smooth. Put the cabbage in a bowl, add the brine mixture and stir. Once well blended, you are to use a wooden spoon and tightly pack the mixture into sterilized jars. You have to leave room at the top for the mixture to expand. Add whole cabbage leaves to the top and tightly close the lids on the jars. Once the jars are full of this concoction, you place them in your pantry for FIVE days. After that time, you move the jars to your refrigerator and are to consume 1/2 cup of the 'salad' each evening during dinner. Apparently bubbling in the jar is a good sign. It means that the probiotics are teeming. Yay!

So is it just me and my east coast gf who think this sounds positively awful or does this sound positively awful to you as well? Apparently, it is crazy good for you because it is a homemade probiotic and enzyme salad but really? Gingerroot and miso paste? Ick!

Okay, okay, I realize I shouldn't judge a recipe by its ingredients but I can't help myself. I will be instituting one of the other recipes from this book beginning tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes. I have more hope for it than the one I've shared here. Apparently, to some folks, gingerroot and miso paste is worth it but I'm not fully convinced yet. The jury is skeptical. :-)


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about the next recipe. I guess you have to try it first and then judge. Everyone has different tastes and or needs.
    I do like cabbage, gingerroot, and miso paste but never thought of them together before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always so kind and find the silver lining. No puke emoticon from you. LOL

    ReplyDelete