Friday, June 1, 2018


Journey vs. Destination

This topic has been discussed by many people over the course of many years. My bff and I used to have a conversation about this topic quite often. We discovered that I am most definitely a journey girl and she was an absolute destination girl.  I always ended with, ‘it’s all about the journey’ and she always said, ‘screw the journey.’  We had such fun teasing one another about this difference in our lifestyle.

Recently however, I began to give the idea more consideration.  There have been times in my life when I’ve struggled with my goals, my destination.  I had ideas of what I wanted to accomplish but struggled with the process.

And guess what?  As a result of that struggle, I wasn’t really enjoying the journey.  I felt hapless, like a drifter just floating through space and time, wandering around within my own self like a nomad.

So I made a short list of goals and I started working toward those goals. I exposed myself to many other schools of thought, through books, movies or internet videos that continued to foster my growth in the whole journey/destination argument.

At the end of that learning period, I sat down with keyboard in hand, and made a resolutions chart.  Each month has a specific goal.  A favored quote sits just below the ultimate goal and below that is a list of minor achievements that will enable me to check another item off my goals list or ultimate bucket list.

So, with all this in mind, it would seem that the destination is the goal.  How we get there is of paramount importance, dare I even say half of the process.  How we reach our goal, how we feel during the process of personal growth, will determine our mood at the finish line.  But we must get to the finish line.  Otherwise, it was just wandering through life. If we never reach the finish line, we never get the prize.

After much reflection, I’ve determined that each part of the journey and destination process is equally 50 percent.  You cannot happily have one without the other.  To be fully journey is to wander.  To be fully destination is meaningless.  To have each equally is lifelong success.

Where do you stand on this topic?


2 comments:

  1. I agree that they both are important. I think of myself as a journey girl because once you get to the destination you have to find another destination to achive and start all over. Not sure that makes sense or not. It has always been about the journey for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now that is as good a reason as any to be all about the journey. Lol Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete